Guide to TIABC
The Tampa Indie Book Convention is quickly approaching. With that, we wanted to give you a little more information in regards to the actual event itself. We have been transparent through the entire planning process, along with the marketing strategy that we have in place. Now is the time that we want you to be prepared and expect no surprises. Some of the questions that we have received would be beneficial to all of you, to ensure the global message is being delivered. Keep in mind that we are not only accommodating almost 50 authors, but we need to make sure that our readers are anticipating the event as well.
What you can expect from your host
- Table arrangements – With the layout of the venue and the size of the tables, we will be providing everyone with enough room to display your books and swag. We contemplated numerous ways to ensure maximum exposure for every author and still allow the desired space for maximum marketing opportunity. 6’ tables will be held for FULL table requests. HLF tables will be 6′ – split between 2 authors. We guarantee enough space for both of you.
- Table coverings – White table cloths will be provided. You may decide to bring your own coverings.
- Seating at your table – Seating will be assigned for yourself and a guest or PA, if they have been pre-paid for. This is imperative to ensure the correct amount of space is delegated to you as the author and your guest.
- Paid Author Fees – To stay consistent, we will ensure that only authors that have reserved their table and paid the table fees will be allowed to sign at the event. Your guests and PA’s are encouraged to help you to market your book but there will only be 1 signing author per paid fee. Additional authors will be responsible for the entire table fee as an author.
- Marketing and advertising – We have marketed to book stores, libraries and coffee shops within the Tampa area. Our next campaign will be hotels and tourist sites willing to post and distribute flyers during the weekend of TIABC. Post have been made to local blog and forum websites specifically directed to readers of all genres. Press releases will be sent to local radio and television within the next couple of weeks.
- Banner space – Regardless of standing or table-top banners, we will ensure that you have a reasonable amount of space to display it. If you have a banner that may require a substantial amount of room, please contact Virginia to ensure proper seating arrangements will be made.
- Contact and support – We will be available for any questions and concerns that you may have during the event. There will be a designated staging area to quickly locate one of us in the event that we are needed.
What an author can expect –
- Advertising – We cannot make this happen alone. We need your excitement and sharing! Get your readers excited to come visit you! There are more readers out there that will travel to see you than you might expect, let them know where you will be!
- Table coverings – You are welcome to bring your own table decorations and tablecloths. We want you to showcase your work and your personality at this event. We have been asked about everything from balloons to giveaways – You can bring anything to display that will encourage readers to visit your table.
- Swag – You are responsible for your own giveaways. Providing bookmarks, magnets, keychains – Anything! Readers love to collect swag at events. To encourage sales, you may want to have select swag for buyers only. *food for thought*
- Books – You are encouraged to bring paperbacks with you to the event. That is the main purpose of this convention. Quantities will vary based on the number of books that you have available and the necessary need. Most authors bring their most recent or best-selling to the events. In the event that you sell out of a title, you may want to have a back-up plan in place. Set up a pre-order doc or sell and ship after the convention.
- Pricing – You control you own pricing based on the book. In the past, authors usually offer their books at a set price or in package deals. $10 for 1, $18 for 2, $25 for 3. This seems to be very effective. Also, consider having a budget based book available to introduce yourself to new readers.
- Payments – We will not have cash on hand as hosts. You will be responsible for having the appropriate amount of change to make your transactions. PayPal and Square are great tools for credit card transactions. Square allows you to swipe a credit card in person.
- Timeline of the event – TBD…..Any questions in regards to the timeline, please contact Virginia.
- Contact Info – Closer to the event, you will be provided contact info for Virginia Johnson – including email, text and phone capabilities.
What a reader can expect –
- Authors – There will be authors that you are following as well as authors that are new to you. You will have to ability to purchase paperbacks from the attending authors. We encourage you to stop by every table to discover new books and imaginations!
- VIP – VIP access is available, guaranteeing you admission to the convention and a ticket to the after party! The after party will include food and beverages. Open bar is included in the $30 ticket price! Complete the form below to purchase your ticket!
- BOOKS!! – Authors will be offering paperbacks to purchase. This is a great time to buy books to save you money in shipping! Many authors offer great deals on their books. Pricing may be less expensive, too! Come prepared to stock up on some of your favorites as well as new and exciting release!
- Friends! – Although, authors are the main draw to any book convention, many readers meet their on-line friends for the first time in person at book conventions. Start thinking about who you would like to meet and INVITE THEM!!
We hope that this gives you a little insight as to what we expect of the TIABC and look forward to seeing you all there!